Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fee-Fi PHO


There’s no doubt in my mind that the Giant would have been happy and well sated with an excellent big bowl of Pho. For those not familiar with Pho, it’s a delicious, spicy, savory (the soup is umami rich) Vietnamese rice noodle soup with a highly flavored stock that is typically made from beef marrow and includes ingredients like star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fish sauce and ginger. The broth is then married with your favorite protein (chicken, shrimp, pork, tofu…). A plate that includes lime, bean sprouts, jalapeno (or other spicy) peppers, cilantro and basil is served with the soup and then added, to taste, by the lucky diner. And of course, if you like your soup with even a bit more heat, a bit of the spicy Thai hot sauce sriracha will do the trick.

Now, I know this combination may sound a bit strange, and to be perfectly frank, I was pretty skeptical about the dish as I am not a fan of licorice flavored spices like anise, but it has a truly spectacular taste. If I could figure out a way to have this soup every day, I would be a happy guy-- but there a two challenges for me:

1. There are no Vietnamese restaurants close to my Connecticut house, so unless I’m ready for an hour road trip, this is not a great option (of course, this is a potential lunch option when working in the city, although most of the restaurants not in midtown)

2. Making the Pho yourself appears to be a relatively labor intensive effort, requiring about half I day.

Yesterday, however, I found myself in Bergen County, where there are two sister restaurants Mo Pho Noodles in Fort Lee, and Simply Vietnamese in Tenafly, that serve a mean bowl of Pho. http://www.saigonmopho.com/index.html. While there is a broader menu available, the real reason to go is for the Pho, which comes in a huge bowl that is likely yield a take-home meal. Check the Pho out at these restaurants, and you’ll be addicted as well!

And let me know of other good places where I can satisfy my addiction!

No comments: