Saturday, April 18, 2009

Comfort in Chi-Town!


I was back in Chicago on business last week, but fortunately had some time to combine the trip with some pleasure.

Took a trip with some friends out to Dell Rhea’s Chicken Basket, http://www.chickenbasket.com/, located on Route 66 in Willowbrook, Illinois. This place was recently visited by Guy Fieri (so how do I get his job) of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Dell Rhea’s opened in its current location in the early 1960’s and has a very distinctive look that combines an institutional décor with a 60’s vibe that includes some retro cool pink lighting.  There are excellent daily drink specials in the cocktail lounge, e.g. 5 for $10 Miller Bucket Nights on Tuesdays, and you can enjoy excellent homemade potato chips while enjoying a drink or two and listening to music of The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jackson Browne and Springsteen.

The reason to go to Dell Rhea’s is the fried chicken, which, depending on whether you order the basket or meal, is accompanied by either fries, mashed potatoes with gravy, or cheese grits.  Both the fried chicken and the mashed were great, although I prefer my fried chicken a bit more crispy.  There’s a salad bar which includes the renowned cole slaw, and chicken soup with dumplings, but it really didn’t do a whole lot for me.  We were full before dessert, so I didn’t get to try the homemade pie, but it is known to be excellent. 

So, if you have a yearning for some Fried Chicken, take a trip on Route 66…

Was able to get some tickets for the Cubs game on Wednesday, and a pilgrimage to Wrigley is always an unmatched pleasure—this is the nations best ballpark (even if the team is not)—but hope springs eternal in this 101st year since the last Cubs World Series (1908).

Of course, no day at the ballpark is complete without a Chicago dog or two, so headed out to Hot Doug’s, http://www.hotdougs.com/, located at California and Addison.  Hot Doug’s was recently visited by Tony Bourdain, and the dogs here did not disappoint. There is an amazing variety to choose from including sausages made from buffalo, lamb, pork and duck.  I had a Keira Knightly (fire dog) and a Dave Kingman (“zesty Sante-fe style spicy chicken) with the works (spicy mustard, caramelized onions, the neon green relish, a pickle, celery salt, and with added sport peppers).  My mouth is still watering!  And, the fantastic perfectly prepared fresh cut French fries, with a Diet Dr. Brown’s cream soda—ok, you get the picture, a perfect meal as a precursor to a Cubs win!

Did I say Cubs win?  Well at least the sun was shining, we had great seats right next to the bullpen, and the ballpark looked great!  I still have high hopes that the Cubs can take down the curse of the Billy Goat this year!

2 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I miss Chicago! There was some good eatin' there - especially for a then-wage-hour clerk and her grad student husband. From your previous post re: pizza - I love all kinds so I'm the last person who'll say anything bad about pies but I do have a soft spot for Chicago deep dish. Loved Giordano's, too, and preferred Gino's East to Uno's (although Malnati's was delicious, too). I have not yet had New Haven pizza although I have heard a lot about white clam pizza. I need to try it before I consider myself anything close to a pizza-phile!

Anonymous said...

Chicago is fun, we're going for a weekend visit in June, can't wait!